Fairfax, Virginia Family Law Attorney with Decades of Experience
Dedicated representation for military and government professionals and their spouses
If you are active duty or retired military, federal government employee or retiree, or a spouse of these and you're going through a difficult time in your personal life because of family law issues, the Law Offices of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC is here to help.
Attorney Michael Kevin Murphy and his staff understand what it's like for someone to have to hire a lawyer — it's stressful, and we will go out of our way to help you become comfortable with us and reach you goals. Our employees are personable and accommodating. Most of us have either served in the military or are married to a current or former service member. On the phone or in person, your needs are our focus and we have the experience that allows us to better understand those needs. We provide high-quality representation to Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy personnel, as well as federal, state and local government professionals and their spouses.
Helping those who serve the United States and the Commonwealth of Virginia and their spouses
The Law Offices of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC has assisted military and government personnel serving our country and their spouses in the Virginia and Washington, D.C. area, as well as overseas, for more than thirty years. We understand the legal complications that can arise when family law issues arise in military and government families — and we are fully prepared to explain the law and recommend the best course of action to achieve your goals going forward.
The firm is prepared to assist clients with a wide range of family law and divorce issues, including:
- Negotiating and drafting legal documents, including premarital agreements, custody agreements and property settlement agreements.
- Mediation of divorce and family law issues, in those instances where unreasonable or insurmountable issues have arisen in negotiations between spouses or former spouses.
- In-court representation of military and civilian clients in divorce litigation and family litigation.
- Services specific to military professionals, including the division of military pensions, the allocation of survivor benefits, and arranging for direct payments through the Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS).
- Services specific to government employees, such as help dividing retirement assets within the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS).
There are significant differences between the family laws governing military and government personnel and those governing civilians, regardless of whether you’re stationed in D.C., Virginia or overseas. Laws such as the Soldiers’ and Sailors Civil Relief Act of 1940 (SCRA) and the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act (USFSPA) provide significant protections to members of the military and military spouses in the event of a divorce or lawsuit — laws that Mr. Murphy brings decades of experience utilizing and explaining for his clients.
Contact a family law firm dedicated to helping those who serve our country
Located in Fairfax, VA, Michael Kevin Murphy is a military divorce attorney who works with clients who live in Virginia and elsewhere throughout the world. At the Law Offices of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC we have the firsthand experience you need when dealing with family law issues. We know the complicated nature of military life and approach your case in a way other law firms often cannot do or will not do.
Contact us online today or call 571.385.0237 for caring, qualified legal counsel. Our main office is conveniently located next to the county courthouse in the town of Fairfax, Virginia.